Martin sent these email messages on Jan 26/30th 2017.
- • My name is Martin Fehringer and Sonja Fehringer was my mother.
- • My mother passed away eleven years on this day and I have been hunting for more images of her past whilst in the RAF and other years before we moved to Australia.
- • My mother met my Father whilst they were representing their respective countries (RAF & Luftwaffe) and I have also followed their steps by joining the RAAF.
- • I am so happy I have found your site and can see some more photos of my mother. If there are any photos I would love to see them as well.
- • My mothers name Is Sonja Dorothy Schimmel.
- • You have already a couple of photos of her in the album which was under other people's names from the 60s.
- • I was hoping some of the friends she had then may be able to provide more data.
- • Regards,
Jacquie Kitson knew Sonja and has since contacted Martin. This is her email of Feb 15 2017:
- • Just to let you know I have written to Martin Fehringer, who was on the RAF Shinfield Website asking about his mother, the above. Well I knew and worked with her at White Waltham.
- • A few of us that knew Sonja wondered where she was now and had in the past tried to find her. Sadly that is impossible now but it was a shock to see the piece on the site news as I only looked at it to show my daughter, as she is looking at properties that way.
John South knew Sonja and has since contacted Martin. This is his email of April 10 2017:
- • Hallo Martin, Have just returned from a Shinfield Park reunion and went onto the website this evening to see the updates. I see that you are appealing for people that knew your Mother and that is why I am writing:-
- • I was at Shinfield Park from late 1965 to when the station closed in 1968 and can remember Sonja well. Such a popular and attractive girl and I was saddened to hear of her passing. I was one of her many admirers but really the only time I talked to her was in February 1968 - we were both in the RAF hospital at Halton where I was having my tonsils removed and she was in the nearby female ward - don't know why she was there but I have a note of the date and it was the 12th February 1968.
- • One of her close friends was Pauline (Sandy) Sanderson and I think they must have worked together - they certainly lived in the same WRAF accommodation and were often seen together. Sandy seems to have vanished without trace and several people have tried to track her down without success.
- • I have no photos of your Mum and no further information but I can remember what a bright and engaging girl she was. Best Wishes to you
If you have any further information, please contact the Webmaster.
Alternatively, contact Martin on email@example.comHowever if you do contact Martin, please let the Webmaster know … for updating purposes.