The camp (and its environs)
RAF Shinfield Park was located in the north of Shinfield Parish in the Unitary Authority of Wokingham District. The camp was the home of RAF Flying Training Command (RAF FTC) from 1940 until 1968. It then transferred to the Meteorological Office College from 1971 until 2002. The European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting remained on the site but the rest was converted to residential housing. Immediately before and after RAF FTC was in existence, RAF Training Command was in control of Technical (Ground) and Flying training then subsequently passed the reins on to RAF Strike Command from 1977.
Click to enlarge any photograph
Aerial view of camp
Camp documents and photos
Click to view any pdf document in your browser
Click here to see The Gremlin (the official HQFTC magazine) and some miscellaneous documents and photographs of people, the camp and environs.
Click here to see a description and photos of the ceremony and plaque.
Shinfield walk (2.5 miles)
The Black Boy
The NAAFI (Eagle Club) and The Shinfield Players
Click here to see information on the name change to The Shinfield Arms.
Click here for information.